Burk sums the key points to characterise Relevance in Ed as:
- Learners understanding themselves (n.b., we are all learners, tutor:mentors, TAs, ‘experts’, research-practitioners and lecturers included)
- Learners understanding their communities
- Learners understanding their environments
- Personal and Collective experiences developed through Purposeful and Meaningful projects
- Collaboration driven by passions and interests, facilitated by mentors
The plain fact is that the planet does not need more successful people,” writes David Orr in The Earth in Mind. “But it does desperately need more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers, and lovers of every kind. It needs people who live well in their places. It needs people of moral courage willing to join the fight to make the world habitable and humane. And these qualities have little to do with success as our culture has defined it.
How relevant is your learning at uni this week?